2.16.2005

February Birthday: A Cool Kitchen Present


Today is my birthday, and I am thrilled to report that my mother gave me the ice cream bowl attachment for my Kitchenaid mixer. So of course I had to test it out right away. I wanted to make a light treat, since between Valentine's Day and my birthday we've been eating too much delicious - but bad for us - food. So I picked this little recipe from Martha Stewart's site, added a bit less sugar, and poured a touch of Chambourd over the top. It was a lovely end to a lovely day! I must say, however, that making melting white icy stuff look nice under the flourescent lights in a kitchen a 11PM is a challenge I'm not ready for - so imagine the taste rather than study the picture, ok?
Buttermilk Sorbet
1 3/4 cups sugar
2 cups water
2 cups buttermilk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Combine sugar and water in a medium saucepan. Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves, about 10 minutes. Increase heat and bring just to a boil. Let cool.
2. In a large bowl, combine sugar syrup with buttermilk and vanilla. Transfer the mixture to an ice cream maker and follow manufacturer's instructions to freeze. When freezing is complete, transfer sorbet to an airtight container and place in freezer for at least 1 hour before serving. Sorbet will keep, frozen, for up to 2 weeks. Makes 1 1/2 quarts. Posted by Hello

2 Comments:

At 11:30 PM, Blogger Brian W said...

Ice cream makers are awesome. I think you told me about this blog but I will pass a link to this recipe along anyway because that gelato is awesome and requires almost no work at all. I made the mixture in a blender, it took maybe 10 seconds. I like ice cream recipes that don't require cooking because I hate having to wait for the hot mixture to cool in the fridge before putting it in the machine.

Oh, and happy birthday!

 
At 8:00 PM, Anonymous mary said...

I'm glad you enjoyed your present. Hopefully, we'll get to try some when we come down to visit, a new batch that is!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home